Guaymas's bay, was a territory dominated by the Guaymas, Seris and Yaquis tribes. It was discovered in 1539 and in 1701 the missionaries Eusebio Kino and Jose Ma. Salvatierra begins to support the Jesuits missions of San Jose de Guaymas
Attacking constantly and without being able to conquer the bay, the Spanish begin a major military operation, arranged by Virrey Marqués de Crois, managing finally in 1769 to conquer and to decree Guaymas's foundation.
In 1811 the commercial maritime traffic is authorized in the port; in 1814 the Spanish courts were inhabiting it for the national trade, in 1823 the maritime customs are established and in 1825 it's granted the category of municipality.
During almost a century the port developed as strategic point for the supply of missions, military invasions and pirate assaults. The commercial activities were stimulated by the maritime traffic giving it the recognition of port of height in 1837.
On July 13, 1854 the General Jose Ma. Yáñez heads the people in Guaymas's defense and the national integrity, defeating the French filibuster Count Gastón Rousset de Boulbon who was trying to take Guaymas.
On July 13, 1859 the title of city is granted; in 1862 the local congress delivers a judgment "Guaymas city is named from now on Guaymas de Zaragoza"
During the XX century big projects developed in port facilities, and initiated a strong impulse for the nautical and commercial industry of the zone creating fishing fleets, docks, stores and fiscal courts. In the most important investments, there took part the Naval Zone, PEMEX and Secretaria de Marina.
Guaymas has 175 kilometres of littoral where beautiful Bays are formed.
Having the fishing industry has the principal economic support (apprehension, processing and marketing), it is source of 70% of the production of the state.
It has a population of 134,153 inhabitants.
A city that still preserves the lineage of the old times in some buildings and streets. In the walk of the Malecon tranquility of long ago is still breathed.
Participating in cultural tourism means journeying into Historic Downtown Area of Guaymas. This area transports us to the past wich such places as the San Fernando Church, constructed in the early decades of the nineteenth century, the Sagrado Corazón de Jesús Temple, 13 de Julio Plaza with is Arabic-style kiosk, Tres Presidentes Plaza that honors the memory of three Mexican Presidents who came from Guaymas: Plutarco Elías Calles, Adolfo de la Huerta and Abelardo L. Rodríguez, the Municipal Palace, constructed in 1899, Pescador Plaza with is impressive statue, an important symbol of the port, the Sonora Bank in a Neoclassical style, and the Old Public Jail from 1900.